Thursday 25 March 2010

Buenos Aires


Buenos Aires is an amazing city- vibrant, fresh and clean but of course not with out it's problems (like any city). I spent more or less 10 days here, much of it strolling from coffee bar to coffee bar watching all the free tango shows that I could I had lots of red wine and steak (its the argentinian speciality) and one night even managed a massive asado in our hostel the night that my dad and stepmum arrived to visit me.

Our first day in Buenos Aires was a sunday and the best way to spend sunday here is to go to san telmo where there's one huge street with stall after stall of antique treasures as well as the odd touristy rubbish you see everywhere.

Another great weekend market was in recoleta (morbid as this sounds...) outside the cemetry. Lots of artesans and street performers, we watched some hippys tight rope walking, juggling and swinging from ribbons in trees. The actual cemetory itself is incredible too- the graves are like mansions with statues so beautiful and intricately carved.

My favourite memory of Buenos Aires though was going to cafe tortini, the oldest cafe in argentina, to watch a tango show with my parents, two great friends and red wine and steak- perfect!

No comments:

Post a Comment